On August 2, 2003, at 2:30 a.m., Phish performed an hour-long, ambient group improvisation at Loring Air Force Base in Limestone, Maine, from the top of an abandoned air traffic control tower.
"White rolls of fabric were dropped, covering the tower," Elayne Best wrote on fan site Phish.net. “Three dancers from the Bay Area’s Project Bandaloop began performing acrobatics at the top, and then they began to gradually descend in front of projected patterns. The band was able to match the jam to the rhythmic motions of the dancers. This was accomplished via ground-based video cameras and tiny television monitors on top of the tower. Amorphously improvising amidst their own sonic art installation, Phish had once again outdone themselves; leaving behind them a trail of smoke and light in the night sky.”
I was living in Connecticut at the time, and I had no idea this was going on. Nobody I knew even listened to Phish anymore. I can’t remember what was going on in the world, but it was less than two years after 9/11, my son was two and a half and my wife was working as a teacher while I was home with him, trying to finish my dissertation when he napped.
But later I heard about the Tower Jam, and I finally listened to it for the first time a couple of nights ago. I sketched this out on an 18 in. x 24 in. piece of paper as I did, juggling six different colored markers. The width of the sketch, from left to right, represents the length of the improvisation (or 60 minutes; the midpoint of the diagram is roughly halfway through the piece, or 30 minutes). Each color is an interpretation of what one of the players is doing at any given moment. Large letter names (“E,” “A,” etc.) represent tonal centers, usually (but not always) established by the bass voice (Mike, in blue).
There’s a third dimension to this schematic that’s not in many of my other ones: a third, outward-leaning dimension, which occurs around where the first dramatic descending lines occur. At these points, where that vertical dimension is so prominent, the sound gets “stacked” on top of itself. There’s a build-up of density; see if you hear that too.
This is only an interpretation of the music, representing the first and only time I’ve ever listened to it. I’m not sure I’ll ever listen again, but probably.
For more of these, visit setlistschematics.tumblr.com.
One of my personal favorite Phish moments.
- daaiizies reblogged this from fuckyeahphish and added:
- theredundantshrimp reblogged this from fuckyeahphish
- theredundantshrimp likes this
- zeppelin-fan reblogged this from fuckyeahphish
- zeppelin-fan likes this
- readmyego likes this
- estimatedprof1t likes this
- wonderlandsweetheart likes this
- bazookajodeci likes this
- tuffgong808 likes this
- 419pm reblogged this from believermag
- 419pm likes this
- shadybeans3 likes this
- ukulele-phisherman likes this
- satan-dropped-acid likes this
- kellymillsart likes this
- uhliveone likes this
- purplephish20 likes this
- afloatuponthewaves reblogged this from believermag
- johnghayward likes this
- jhbluedog7 likes this
- raging-space-phunk reblogged this from fuckyeahphish
- peterthepolak reblogged this from believermag
- headstashradio likes this
- phee-bo reblogged this from fuckyeahphish
- jillxbaby likes this
- aanenome reblogged this from believermag
- aanenome likes this
- blizzrva likes this
- einsteiner reblogged this from fuckyeahphish and added:
- einsteiner likes this
- punkfilm likes this
- shake-downstreet reblogged this from dead-phan1210
- shake-downstreet likes this
- dead-phan1210 reblogged this from helping-phriendly-blog
- helping-phriendly-blog reblogged this from believermag
- helping-phriendly-blog likes this
- happyorange27 likes this
- discoru likes this
- amfaulds reblogged this from setlistschematics and added:
- phoshorus likes this
- pleasemehavenoregrets likes this
- ofleafstructure likes this
- mymusicfabric reblogged this from believermag
- nick3am likes this
- ekeknat likes this
- wolfmanssister likes this
- technicolorgypsy likes this
- officialbarackobama reblogged this from fuckyeahphish and added:
- raging-space-funk likes this